Monday

Grandma



I was the last of my Mother's five surviving children. Raising the family, running a household and attending to her many social commitments required a helping hand.Who better capable to fill the position than my loving Grandmother.


Grandma holding me and my sister Sophie.


My mother's mother had reared four of her own in a big majestic, white house just a stone's throw away down the street. In fact my older brothers were the first to inform me that when they were young, all of them; my grandparents, Mother and Father and my siblings lived in that grand house that I found so intriguing.


My Grandparents house Winter 1889.


My Mother's childhood home, where upon entry a gentle embrace awaited and a nuance of delectable aromas emanated from the kitchen. This too was my other home where I would spend countless hours enchanted by Grandma's stories and gifted through her wisdom. A place that when I visited in later years, I could envision sitting on the veranda, Grandma's gentle voice singing a lullaby as I drifted off in slumber...



3 comments:

Christine LeFever said...

Oh that house is gorgeous!

Christine ~ Zwee!!!!!!!

Lana Manis said...

Susan ~ such wonderful photographs! I am enjoying your stories and look forward to more and more!

Suzanne said...

Thank you for another edition! Love the house; beautiful and roomy enough for any family!