Sunday

The Christmas Pageant



It was three days before Christmas and we were awaiting the arrival of snow.

*Sophie and I with our cousin Samuel on the steps of his house Winter 1890

Tomorrow was the Christmas pageant and Sophie was to play an angel. Mother had spent days making ready her costume. A beautiful old shawl had been donated for the wings and angelic slippers. The thumping of the treadle sewing machine echoed down the hall as the aroma from Grandma's baking filled the house. Sophie and I were taking tea with her dollies in the parlor when we noticed the snowflakes beginning to fall outside the window.


As the afternoon turned to evening the blanket of snow was heavy and the sounds from the harness bells tinkled with each passing horse-drawn sleigh.

When we had arrived at the church hall the following evening Mother and Sophie hurried backstage. Father took me by the hand and we found our seats.

As the curtains separated the crowd hushed and were entranced as the play unfolded before us. And suddenly there was Sophie, her delicate slippers pointed beneath her as she spread her wings and took flight. I was filled with glee my sister was an angel...


Christmas was special that year... whenever I pulled back the tissue to reveal Sophie's delicate lacey slippers the memories returned and brought me back to the Christmas pageant...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Susan,
What a lovely story about your sister. How sweet. How did you come by the slippers?
I remember playing an angel in our high school Christmas pageant when I was a Freshman.

Kris

Suzanne said...

I'm sure Sophie made a splendid Christmas angel. Thank you for another lovely installment of Wealthy's family memories.
Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Oh Susan... You painted the most wonderful picture with your words.. I could 'see' Sophie with the slippers and her wings! What a beautiful story and what a great gift for all of us to enjoy! Thank you for always sharing your great talent for writing. You conjure such atmosphere with your words... you are truly special.
xoxo
Karen

Heather said...

so sweet! How lovely these little images and stories are :)

Claire Zimmerman said...

Hi Susan,

I'm from Halifax and have just come across the painting of the little girl that is at the top of your blog. I am trying to research more about it. Do you know its origins? If so, please email me at claire.zim@gmail.com.

I really enjoyed reading your blog!

Thanks!
Claire